The site was hit with an unintentional "DDOS" when a script author accidentally programmed thousands of computers to update their script every 10 milliseconds.
I've added several checks, another caching layer and rate limiting to fight back. I apologize that it took so long to fix. Even accessing a server is hard when thousands of requests are being made from IPs around the world per seconds.
Update May 3
It happened again. I've disabled two URLs for the time being which were updating by downloading the /scripts/review/### version of their script instead of using /scripts/source/###.meta.js functionality
Also I'll start tweeting on @userscripts...
The site usually costs $750 a month for me to run and the ads bring in about $450 a month. The extra bandwidth caused by these issues have made the cost closer to $1000 for this month. If you have a few bucks to contribute paypal firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sorry again. This was amazing stressful for everyone.
You could comment on this post if you were logged in.