Warning: Only install Userscripts that you trust.
Userscripts and Firefox
Greasemonkey is an extension for Mozilla Firefox, an open source Web Browser. Most userscripts are written for Firefox & Greasemonkey (although some work in Opera, Safari and even Internet Explorer).
For this guide I will assume you are using Firefox, if not you should install Firefox first.
Userscripts run via Greasemonkey
Now that you have Firefox, you need to install Greasemonkey. After installation (which requires restarting your browser), you are now ready to install userscripts.
Now clicking on a .user.js link triggers Greasemonkey to pop up the script installation panel. Greasemonkey shows you a list of what sites the script will run on and ask if you want to install the script.
Now loading a web page results in additional code (the userscript) being run.
Chrome does not allow scripts to be installed directly from the website, so here are a couple of workarounds:
- Manual Install
- Click the install button to download the script to your computer.
- Click on the "Customize Google Chrome Button" to the right of the address bar and go to Tools > Extensions
- Drag the downloaded script onto the Extensions page
- Customize and install the script
- Using Tampermonkey
- Go to Chrome's Webstore and install Tampermonkey
- Navigate to the Script's page that you want to install.
- Click on the green install button.
- Follow Tampermonkey's instructions.
- Opera userscripts: Opera has it's own UserScript API with different functionality than Greasemonkey's. However, it does recognise Greasemonkey scripts. and many scripts on this site do work in Opera. See here for a guide to installing scripts in Opera and here for details on which Greasemonkey scripts are likely to work.
Anyone can upload scripts to this site. Community features such as reviews and forums are provided to help protect the site and public. Exercise judgement when installing source code. If you don't know how to read it, check who has reviewed, favorited and discussed it. Decide if you find them trustworthy by reading their other reviews. The admins cannot guarantee that "evil" scripts will not be listed on the site.
Disclaimer of Warranty
THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE SCRIPTS PROVIDED ON THIS SITE, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAMIS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MODIFIES AND/OR CONVEYS THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.